Many people seeking a plastic surgeon to reduce the size of their ears do not realize that the problem is their prominence—not their size. This prominence is caused by abnormal cartilage formation at the base of the ear. Ear pinning (otoplasty) reshapes the ear by reducing the curvature of the cartilage, creating normal ear contour and proportion.
WHAT IS EAR PINNING?
The ideal size and shape of ears vary for each person and Dr. Goodkind can customize the procedure to compliment the rest of your face. Ear pinning can be performed on one or both ears from behind the ear to hide subsequent scarring.
WHAT IT IS RECOMMENDED FOR:
- Reduce the prominence of ears.
- Improve the shape or proportion of ears.
- Surgery is recommended any time after the age of 5.
WHAT TO EXPECT:
- Ear pinning is done under local or general anesthesia.
- Dr. Goodkind will reshape the cartilage through an incision behind the ear that is indiscernible once it heals.
- Ears are wrapped for 5-7 days post-operatively, there will be minimal swelling.